Evacuation Schemes

The online evacuation scheme service lets you:

  • Submit an evacuation scheme - an online form
  • View the status of any evacuation schemes that you have submitted
    using this service
  • Receive correspondence about your scheme e.g. approval notification
  • Maintain your contact and building details

You need to have an RealMe login to use the online evacuation scheme service.

You can use the same RealMe login to manage multiple buildings regardless of whether you are acting as an individual building owner or as an agent.

To find out more about evacuation schemes, read the Fire and Emergency New Zealand Guide to Evacuation Schemes

Do I need an approved evacuation scheme?

A building owner must ensure the building complies with the Fire Service Act 1975 ("Act") and the Fire Safety and Evacuation of Buildings Regulations 2006 ("Regulations"). Some buildings, if they are used in whole or part for one or more of the following purposes, must have an approved evacuation scheme:

  1. the gathering together, for any purpose, of 100 or more persons
  2. providing employment facilities for 10 or more persons
  3. providing accommodation for more than 5 persons (other than in 3 or fewer household units)
  4. a place where hazardous substances are present in quantities exceeding the prescribed minimum amounts (set out in Schedule 2 of the Regulations), whatever the purpose for which the building is used
  5. providing early childhood facilities (other than in a household unit)
  6. providing nursing, medical, or geriatric care (other than in a household unit)
  7. providing specialised care for people with disabilities (other than in a household unit)
  8. providing accommodation for persons under lawful detention (not being persons subject to home detention)

Owners of buildings with an automatic sprinkler system (which meets the criteria set out in the Regulations) and which are only used for either (2) or (3) (but not both of those uses) do not need an approved scheme. However, owners of those buildings must give the National Commander notice that the building does not need an evacuation scheme, in the form set out in the Regulations. A notification form is available from the Printable Forms Page.

How does the online process work?

Your application will be able to be received faster if you do it online

  1. use your existing RealMe login or create a new one
  2. complete the online application form
    • the form only shows you what you need to answer
    • you can upload supporting documents in the online application form (pdf or jpg)
    • the system will save your contact details and building details so you can re-use them later
  3. your application will be sent to Fire and Emergency New Zealand for processing
  4. from your dashboard page (this appears once you are signed up) you can
    • check the status of your application
    • receive correspondence about your scheme
    • update your contact details and building details

What you agree to by using online services

By using online services you agree to keep your RealMe login safe, and to notify us if the building details change or if you are no longer responsible for maintaining a building's evacuation scheme.